2006 - present
I have taken a lot of time off to re-evaluate what I want to do with my life. Much of that time has been spent mastering web development using Drupal, with the intention of becoming a web consultant.
Programmer at PLATO Learning, Inc.
2001 – 2006
Worked as part of a team on a web based curriculum management system:
* Ported existing data tier from Borland Paradox to MS SQL Server 2000.
* Maintained, refactored, and enhanced the data tier.
* Created and maintained test utilities.
* Converted source control from MS SourceSafe to CVS.
* Added automatic metrics gathering to the development process.
Contract Programmer at Digital River
2000 – 2000
Maintained and enhanced an Internet utility using Visual C++. It was written using plain C and C++ with no framework.
Contract Programmer at Profit Solutions
2000 – 2000
Converted MTS COM server side components originally written in Visual Basic to Visual C++. Database used was MS SQL Server 7.
Contract Programmer at Return, Inc.
1998 – 1999
* Contracted to help with porting and new development of the next generation of their software. Written in Visual C++ using MFC and COM, and using an Oracle 7.3.4 database, this application tracks shipments, items, boxes, pallets, vendors, and stores. Barcode scanners are used to scan and sort items returned from stores. The returned items are then handled according to the vendor's instructions. This component-based application can be dynamically configured via database entries on a per customer basis. Standard components and modules are re-used between clients, though customization can be performed.
* Co-designed and implemented an extensible database import utility to parse client files and update database records. Multiple ATL COM components work together to gather file format and processing data from the database, and then parse text files to dynamically build a SQL insert or update command string. ODBC API calls are used to execute the generated commands.
Contract Programmer at Laser Data Command, Inc.
1998 – 1999
Contracted to co-design and implement an Airline Security Kiosk to handle passenger check-in, baggage, and boarding. The Visual Basic UI instantiates multiple ATL COM support objects to interact with several serial devices including barcode scanners for PDF-417 barcodes, barcode printers for the same, and video cameras to acquire passenger and baggage pictures. Compression software reduces the images and data at the airline counter to less than 1000 bytes, which is then encoded onto two-dimensional PDF-417 barcodes. A similar kiosk at the boarding gate can then verify that the correct passenger is boarding, by decoding the barcode and displaying the compressed passenger image. Upon debarking, baggage handlers scan passenger's baggage tags to verify ownership.
Consultant at Connect, Inc.
1997 – 1998
* Senior developer for maintenance of a sales force automation tool for a major HVAC supplier. Used Borland C++ 4.52 and Sybase SQL Anywhere.
* Technical lead and senior developer for maintenance of a HVAC ductwork analysis and design program. Used Visual C++ 1.52 and Rational Rose.
* Designed and implemented mainframe data access and low-level business COM objects for an insurance sales system using Visual C++ 5.0, Visual Basic 5.0, and IBM CICS.
Consultant at Analysts International Corp.
1995 – 1997
* Technical lead and primary developer of a reusable print engine module for use with sales force automation systems. Programmed in Visual C++ 4.2 using COM.
* Designed and implemented the UI layer of a quotation module for a sales force automation system using Visual C++ 4.1 and MFC. Integrated UI with business objects.
* Designed and implemented the administration module for a computer managed instruction system using Delphi 1.0 and RAD methodology. Created install system using WISE and extension DLLs.
* Designed and implemented an MFC OLE server based RTF report engine for a sales force automation program using Visual C++ 1.5 and SubSystems Inc.'s TE.
* Helped implement a finance module for an automotive sales system using Visual C++ 1.5, MFC, and FarPoint Professional Toolbox.
Contract Programmer at National Biosciences, Inc.
1994 – 1994
Implemented printing and file I/O, as well as additional analysis functionality for a DNA analysis program using Borland C++ 3.1. Created install program and help files.
Contract Tester at Ideal Learning
1993 – 1994
Tested multimedia educational courseware developed using Authorware Professional. Exhaustive testing required following scripts to ensure all execution paths were taken.